Boxwoods

WELCOME to the 2014 #A-Z Blog Challenge

02ab0dffc1af22283166292081f7a23cHowever you use Boxwoods in a garden they are a visual gift. Above, they line a gravel pathway. Neat and tidy in their habits, requiring haircuts several times a year, they are worth all effort expended upon them. For me, they are the quintessential English garden plant. I have used boxwood in my American garden out of love and admiration for “the long conversation that is the English garden.” -Christopher Lloyd

09c461462243d3131ce8bab05a3d8b96Knot Gardens are my passion. Step through this low gate and marvel at the design of using boxwood to create Knots of various kinds. Evergreen, lovely in all seasons, the symmetry of a Knot garden makes me smile and causes me to covet my neighbor’s garden.

f396fb839b4188647c4824aa2604f702Visit The American Boxwood Society for valuable information on glorious boxwood

This entry was posted in AtoZ Blog Challenge -April 2014 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Boxwoods

I agree knot gardens are really great. Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday.

2. Makes me wish I had a bigger garden.

3. These gardens are absolutely beautiful. I haven’t put my time to my own gardens but can surely appreciate them. There is a place in Pennsylvania that I enjoy visiting called Longwood Gardens that is just breathtaking. I’m enjoying this theme for the A to Z.

4. Donna B. McNicol [@dbmcnicol] says:

So neat and clean, lovely to look at but I wouldn’t want to maintain them. 😉

D.B. McNicol
    Romance & Mystery…writing my life

• In our imaginations, let’s you and I hire head gardeners to create and MAINTAIN the garden of our dreams. Ours will be the gardens that people slow up in their cars to look at as they drive by.

5. I should have mentioned using boxwood in pots that are very easy to care for…watering, of course, and a quick haircut several times a year.

6. kristin says:

I wish the person who planted Elaeagnus around my yard had planted boxwood instead. It would have made a much nicer border.

7. melissajanda says:

I love the beauty and serenity of a well cared for garden. My mom is a wonderful gardener, but unfortunately, I didn’t inherit her green thumb. I’ll just have to appreciate the skill of others. 🙂

• There is a beautiful book I recommend to you because of your Mom. It’s called Earth on Her Hands by Ockenga. Wonderful black and white photos of women gardeners, their age and wisdom apparent. Each woman and her garden featured. As you say, enjoy the creation of others…that’s one of the reason we all garden…for you!

8. Susan Kane says:

So tidy, such neatly arranged paths! In our SoCalif. square plots, it would not work. Will look at photo instead.

• I have a lovely book on my shelf…The Garden of California by Nancy Goslee Power. Maybe you will settle with that.It’s worth a look the next time you get to a book store.Thanks for visiting. Come back.

9. I would love to settle down in a comfy chair or on a blanket in one of those gardens with a good book! Beautiful photos!

10. It’s really nice to put a name to some of the beautiful plants or bushes I see. Thanks for your A to Z theme.
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

11. A Plantsman know the botanical names of plants…I tried…and know a few, but the common names are often nostalgic and romantic. And when all else fails, I like your designation!!! ‘Beautiful.’ That works for everybody.

12. halleygentil says:

These are beautiful! I can tell I am going to learn a lot about gardening this month! 🙂

13. celticmama36 says:

I have never heard of knot gardens. I am assuming Celtic knots? I’ll have to investigate this further. Your photos are beautiful!

14. Margo Kelly says:

Oh. I have been working hard out in the garden this spring, but my garden looks NOTHING like your pictures! 😉 Thanks for sharing – very inspiring!

15. Shawn Yankey says:

Wow! I’d love to be able to create such a nice garden.
    Shawn from Laughing at Life 2

16. Gorgeous, just gorgeous. You’ve chosen a beautiful topic. I love the mixing of words and photos to create a layered story.

• Thanks for your comment. I learned a lot in 2013 when I participated in the #Challenge for the first time. When I started my blog, I was strictly writing about English Gardens and their famous gardeners. The first thing I learned was that my posts were too long. No one has time to read them. My formula evolved and I’m glad you like the photos and writing that you see today. Me too. Come back when you can, the posts are not strictly about gardening. Today it is the Cotswolds, a beautiful place we all wish to be.

17. Susan Scott says:

Beautiful, Stepheny thank you – and inspiring. Ive learned something – also from your elaboration in your comments.

Garden of Eden Blog

18. I am a lousy gardener but enjoy all the images you posted! They create a wonderful sense of serenity.

Thanks for visiting my blog — I’ve enjoyed visiting yours as well. I need stop by your Pinterest boards next!

Yvonne

• Pinterest is a wonderful experience. No matter what you’re interested in, it’s there. The surprise of finding images of things you love, but have forgotten about, is great fun. After I wrote my novel I began with boards that supported English gardening etc. It’s much more now. Hope you have time to see my Pinterest boards. Careful, it’s additive.

19. Yes, really beautiful. Reminds me of my English roots
    Teaching English with Mr. Duncan
    A-Z of hotels

20. Gorgeous! I love looking at people’s gardens. Great theme, especially since my hands are itching to go play in the dirt!

Carrie~Anne at That Dizzy Chick

21. Tonja says:

I have boxwoods. They are fun because you can trim them into shapes. Mine are just spheres, but I could get creative if I wanted (and had the talent). I follow you. Great blog.

• Well, you’ve made my day; that you follow my blog and are pleased with it. Wish you could take me on a stroll to meet your boxwoods. Now shaping them, there’s a dilemma. What I do know for sure:do not clip them the first time in the spring UNTIL the new leafy green has had a chance to harden off. See you back in the garden.

22. jny_jeanpretty says:

I love boxwoods and I wish we could have them here in this area of New York but the deer love them too! I pin them on my garden board as well 🙂 jean

• The deer are bad here in NC. but, they don’t seem to bother the boxwood. Isn’t Pinterest an amazing opportunity. I have lovely art work pinned on boards that I have no room for nor could I afford. I have a lovely collection. After writing a novel I used Pinterest to pin things that supported the story set in the Cotswolds, but it has gone beyond that for sure. If you have time maybe you will look at my boards and come back for other posts on gardening and people in England.

23. historysleuth1 says:

There must be different kinds of boxwoods. Yes? I have boxwood trees in my yard. Lots of people don’t like them because they require constant trimming. I like them. They grow tall and quick and make a great buffer between mine and my neighbors yard.
    History Sleuth’s Writings – Blogging A-Z

• When you mention they grow quick, I wonder if they are other than boxwood. Many varieties, but I wonder? Anyway, the attitude is, if you like them that’s what counts. Come back when you have time. I’ll meet you at the garden gate.

24. Kristen says:

I’ve always loved these, but I prefer seeing them in someone else’s yard rather than trying to do it in my own, haha!

Random Musings from the KristenHead — B is for ‘Believe’ (and Behold the Beguiling Beauty of the Beach)