Doors – Use Them In The Garden

WELCOME to the 2014 #A-Z Blog Challenge

b63650152be0aab1690fc30b16f6a602

“I love doors. Sometimes you can tell just by looking at a door that there’s something interesting behind it.” Novel, The Distant Hours by Kate Morton

How happy we are to open the door to our homes after a long journey away. The jingle on the door of our favorite book shop, the smell of garlic and good food as we walk through the door of an Italian restaurant, this is one way we think of  doors. But what about using doors in your garden? (See my Pinterest Board for more images of doors.) Think outside the box, incorporate a door into your garden. Friends will tell you how clever you are. Which one of these doors is your favorite?  Pick one and let me know below. I love them all.

078a20e1fa2c3303abed27bc8e08c3c0

Build a frame, hang the door, and you have created a focal point

7f1c12a946a78ef8d095803e78eb05c9This wonderful wooden door enhances a brick wall

c40c5a4fde411d2a9425c913a3feaeecAn interesting addition to a wall that needs an imaginative fix

298b26ae1c1ec500431720730aa8f81dHere is a creative use of doors placed behind this water feature. I Hope these ideas get you thinking about using doors in your garden.

This entry was posted in AtoZ Blog Challenge -April 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Doors – Use Them In The Garden

1. pvariel says:

Hi Stepheny,
    Its really good to hear from you. Thanks for dropping by. Its indeed a lovely subject you selected for this year’s A to Z. Gardening I like but sad to note that now we are living in an apartment. So no chance now, but I eagerly read anything related to that subject. Lovely pics, sure I will have a look at your pintrest lage. Keep informed.
    Best Regards,
    ~ Philip

• Isn’t this fun, making new blogging friends. Apartment living won’t keep you from learning about new things. Hope you have time to come back and learn about several famous English gardeners etc.

2. If I had room for a large garden like the ones pictured here, I would definitely consider some doors for it.

• That’s why I featured several doors against a wall to accommodate smaller spaces. Come back and visit if you have time for other garden related ideas that might work for you or enjoy a few minutes with famous English gardeners etc.

People are so creative with their gardens, I love seeing windows too.

4. Harliqueen says:

I love this, I might have to find a bit of space in my garden somewhere for something like this 🙂 Would be lovely to grow clematis or maybe roses around it.

• We moved to a new home last June,”The Cottage for Two”, and this spring I continue to create a new garden. I’m headed out soon to find an old door and take my own suggestion to heart. Would love to see what you come up with. Come back this month and let’s stroll together through some other garden related posts…several famous English gardeners etc.

5. I really like this idea. Unfortunately I don’t have a garden. But when I do, I will certainly think about doors rather than gates!

• Might I suggest Pinterest for pinning future ideas for your garden. If you are like me, my lists get lost. If you have time to visit my Pinterest boards you will see what I mean. Hope you will come back to the blog, however, where I will continue to write about other related garden topics including famous English gardeners.

6. Mary says:

I never thought about using doors! We are only 4 days in and I already have seen great ideas – now to pick one and do it!
    Mary @ The View from my World

7. Hi Stepheny! Returning your visit on the A-Z Blogging challenge. So glad I did, I love your blog and the idea of using doors in the garden is fabulous. I love gardening, although my home in the woods limits what kind of flowers I can have. I’ve used Flickr to share some of my flowers: https://www.flickr.com/photos/carolynbranch/sets/72157607015845254/

• So glad you came by the garden this evening. Thanks for sharing your photos. I have got to learn how to do this. I’ve never used flickr.com My last garden was full sun and I missed the shade plants I could grow. Starting a new garden and hoping to have my cake and eat it too. Come back when you can. English conservatories tomorrow and my conservatory.

Great ideas Stepheny. I especially like the last two.

9. denster57 says:

What a cool idea! If I ever have a garden or even a backyard, I will keep this in mind!

• If you have time to look at my Pinterest boards, you might decide to collect and pin ideas for that day when maybe you will want to garden, plant a pot, or just enjoy the images on your boards.

• Think about Pinterest and start pinning the ideas you like for future dreams. If you have time, do come back and walk through some more gardening posts and related things with me.

10. Maribeth says:

I’m a huge fan of doors and I love the idea of incorporating them into a garden. I need to start gardening I love the idea of it but I can’t say I ever really delved into the process.

Maribeth

• Why not buy a couple of pots/containers, fill with potting soil, plop in a few annuals you see at Home Depot and water. If you enjoy that this spring, maybe you will be ready to buy a garden book or two. If you have time, come back to this blog during the month. I think you would like the upcoming posts.

11. celticmama36 says:

My favorite of the doors that you’ve shared is the single wooden door against the brick wall. I have seen some amazing greenhouses made up of salvaged doors and windows. I think it is a wonderful idea.
    I enjoyed this post as I have all of yours so far in this challenge. 🙂 Have a great weekend!

12. My mother-in-law has been wanting to do this in her garden. She’s just waiting for the right door.

~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

13. These are lovely, Stepheny. My favourite is the green one.

J.L. Campbell writes at The Character Depot
    and the Jamaican Kid Lit Blog.

14. zenkatwrites says:

I love doors in gardens. Rosemary and Thyme did one in a garden in Italy? France? Actually, I like old things with vines crawling over them, period.

• I am watching (again) all the Rosemary and Thyme series right now. LOVE them and disappointed they didn’t continue. The locations are fabulous and the mysteries good too.Wish we could sit down together and watch together between sipping tea and talking. Come back for more garden and related topics when you can. I’ll watch for you by the garden gate.

15. Nice concept. The third door looks like it could work in my garden

16. AC Smyth says:

I take loads of photos of doors and gates, but never thought to use one in my garden. I really like these ideas.

• Pinterest if FULL of images of doors around the world. I have a board where I pin doors that call to me. Maybe you will think of posting some of your doors on Pinterest. Please come back if you have time.

17. I’ve always loved artwork with doorways in it. Now I love gardens with doors, too. 🙂

Yvonne

18. Sue Elvis says:

Stepheny,

I love walking through gardens and taking photos, but I am a hopeless gardener myself. I hardly dare own up to the fact I have a Bachelor of Science degree majoring in botany! Obviously I never learnt any practical skills. Anyway, your blog is pure delight. I am enjoying reading your posts. The doors? It is hard to pick a favourite. Maybe the second one! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

19. I think the green door is my favorite. I love all the doors you have on Pinterest. I’ve always thought of doors as thresholds to new worlds and possibilities.

• Me too! That’s why I used the quote from Kate Morton’s book at the beginning of the post. Something intriguing about doors in our imaginations. Wish you could step through my door today so we could have tea and talk about this and that.

20. S dot Love says:

I love seeing doors in gardens. It makes me feel like the garden is holding a secret, just waiting for others to discover it. Great post!

21. Jean says:

I love the idea of doors in the garden. Gardening is on my “to do” list, but I haven’t fit it in yet. We picked up a small compost bin at a swap meet, so we’re starting to make dirt.

Thanks for visiting me today.

Jean, visiting for the A-Z Challenge from Rantings and Ravings of an Insane Writer

• They say soil is the most important place to start so you are already off on the right foot. Come back and we’ll stroll through some more gardens and related topics to give you some more ideas. If you have Pinterest (see mine) that’s where you can pin the things you like.

22. I love this idea. I’m going to have to do something like this.
    You have a great blog here, and your posts for the A to Z Challenge are so much fun. I’ll definitely stop by daily to learn more about gardening.
    Thanks so much!

23. jazzytower says:

What a lovely idea. My garden is small and I have been having some privacy issues, this just might solve them. Thanks.

24. Kristen says:

I love the idea of doors in the garden, but I’m sort of picky about them. I tend to like a somewhat simple design, and I prefer when they are useful in someway, such as signifying a separation between different areas.

Random Musings from the KristenHead — D is for ‘Defiance’ (and Dogs)