Garden Sheds

WELCOME to the 2014 #A-Z Blog Challenge

9e9ff4766b3ed4fac46d238f2c8c51da

You might want to skip the garden and go directly to having a garden shed. Calling these structures ‘sheds’ hardly seems elegant enough for one of these wonderful small buildings.  See others at Garden Sheds & More. The reality is that most of us have a shed that looks like this.

DSCN3079

The challenge is how to settle a plain square structure with no personality, however practical, into a garden. Creating a landscaping design around the shed is a must.

imagesHere is an photo of a simple fix. A path, a few plantings in prepared beds around the sides that can have a variety of flowers and small shrubs. Place some containers about and a trellis on the side with a climbing vine. You will have come a long way to settling a shed in to your landscape rather than settling for the ‘plopped on the ground look’ these basic sheds are in their first incarnation.

b0c99627bbc2a975f88b79cdfe4cf7ecI know this is what we would all prefer. I can see myself writing in this charming shed close to my garden, a happy girl. With a vivid imagination, we can start with images that look like this and turn our ‘reality-check sheds’ into so much more.

This entry was posted in AtoZ Blog Challenge -April 2014 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Garden Sheds

1. Patti Hall says:

I can’t click through to your site from the reader. Not sure why, I have never had this happen. Will try through your comments on my blog.

These are lovely, ohh, I want one now I’ve seen how lovely they can be.

• Take a minute and look at more fabulous ‘sheds’ on my Pinterest board. Aren’t they amazing. We’ll have to sell a lot of books to support this dream of having one. I’d give you one if I could.

• I am happy to share my garden with you. Come back when you have time for more gardening ideas and related topics. May I suggest garden touring, the next best thing without all the work. Watch for tours in your area this Spring.

3. I would love to join you for tea in that garden shed.

4. Jemima Pett says:

Would you believe we aren’t allowed sheds in our gardens? I’m sure something as elegant as these would be allowed. I’d love that last one 🙂
    Jemima
    #TeamDamyanti
    Blogging from Alpha to Zulu in April

• Here is your next cause. Armed with these images and more on my Pinterest Board, you can convince your world to change their minds. Come back when you can for more garden ideas and related topics. I’ll meet you by the garden gate.

5. I love this idea of the writing garden sanctuary. Thank you for sharing these fun little houses!

• Can’t you see us both writing away in one of these beauties. I have more on my Pinterest board. Would LOVE to sit with you and hear more about your blogging life etc. In our imaginations, let’s have tea.

6. Chrys Fey says:

Oh yes! When I have a garden I’m going to have a beautiful garden shed. I’ll take the one in the first picture, please. 😉

7. Sarah Allen says:

Oh those are adorable! I can definitely see stories happening in those sheds 🙂

Sarah Allen
    (From Sarah, With Joy)

8. Tyrean says:

I love those beautiful garden sheds. Maybe someday I’ll have one. 🙂

9. I love the pretty sheds. They look more like playhouses than sheds. It would be great to have one of those to use to write in.

• When I was growing up a neighbor child had a playhouse and she would invite us to help her Spring house clean the house. A different Tom Sawyer story. From then until now playhouses are one of my favorite things. Garden sheds are more grown up, of course, but I would love to have one to play in. My books, able to write, and dream. Pinterest has allowed me to pin images of both playhouses and garden sheds which make me smile. Come back when you can “to play.”

10. mplanglinais says:

Some of these are so cute . . . I could imagine setting up a little office out in my garden . . .

• The one we have is for storage of garden, flower arranging, ‘stuff.’ But, the writing office, that’s my dream too. Come back if you have time for more gardening ideas and info.

11. nembow says:

Our shed is falling down. It was like that before we moved in! I’m thinking of getting rid of it and putting up some sort of shady structure under which I can sit and read in the summer. 🙂

• If it is beyond redemption, your idea to haul it off will give you space to put up a pergola overhead and sitting underneath. Some pots, flag stones to rest your feet on, and you will have the perfect excuse to stay there, read and enjoy.

12. J.C says:

Oh my… I spend a lot of time looking at ways to convert garden sheds. We have a reasonable sized one, but all the windows are broken and it’s been full of junk since before we moved in. Work in progress! I’ve just got new windows to seal it up, and have organized new roof stuff – now to find the people to help me. It’s going to take a decent bit of work but I am hoping one day to have an awesome garden room 🙂

• You’re lucky to have the opportunity to creative your own NEW shed. Hope these photos and the ones I have pinned on Pinterest give you some ideas after you get the building sealed up. Have fun. Come back and visit for more gardening ideas if you can.

• J.C says:

I totally will 🙂 We bought a very run down and overgrown cottage type house/garden. Now that the kids are no longer babies it’s time to reclaim the space and make it look good! I need all the inspiration I can get 😉

13. Those sheds are awesome! I’d love to have that pretty purple one from the top in my backyard! 🙂

14. My shed is embarrassing. Now I can’t wait till warm weather to do something with it. (First it needs powerwashed.) 🙂

15. I have a shed but it looks nothing like this. Your example is better, and now I’m jealous. Might have to do something about that. 🙂
    Silvia @
    SilviaWrites

• Take everything out, power wash, a little paint, and you’re on the way. If you have time look at my Pinterest board for more examples of these great ‘sheds.’ You can do it. I’m here in my cheerleading outfit cheering you on. Come back when you can.

16. lv2trnscrb says:

Visiting from A/Z. What a cute theme you have; I don’t spend much time on Pinterest, but it always looks like it has wonderful things to do, create, etc. I liked that shed featured at the bottom of your post; I think I could spend some time writing in there as well!

Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

betty

17. I love a good garden shed. I’m off to check out your Pinterest board. Just wish my yard was big enough to build one…! I will live vicariously through yours.

• As a writer an imagination is in order. It helps me with these charming buildings imagining myself ensconced smiling from ear to ear. Come back if you have time for other garden ‘stuff.’

18. melissajanda says:

We have a garden shed, but it’s plain looking (similar to the 3rd picture). I want one like the first image! It looks like something from a fairy tale 🙂

• I have been to the nursery and bought the first plants to deal with the plain shed I pictured. Following my own advise, I hope to transform this eyesore into something that ‘plants’ the shed into the garden.

19. Those do look pretty awesome. I think I’d feel like I was gardening in the Shire.

20. I love the shed in that first photo! In fact, I’d like a house like that.

21. These are so beautiful! It makes me want to work on my shed! What a great idea! Thank you for introducing yourself through the A to Z Challenge. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts.

• Put it on your ‘to do’ list for this spring. If you have time look at my Pinterest boards where there are some more wonderful sheds. Hope you turn your pearl of great price into a jewel. Come back when you can.

22. Kristen says:

I currently have a very simple shed, and I have been planning on doing something fancy like this. Thanks for the ideas! 🙂

Random Musings from the KristenHead — G is for ‘Grimm’ (and Goofing Off)