Consider a Trellis

WELCOME to the 2014  #AtoZ Blog Challenge

DSCN0973Stepheny’s Durham, NC Garden

Consider the lilies of the field…OR a new trellis structure that will eventually weather and become one of the focal points in your garden. I grew David Austin Roses on either side of mine along with a white clematis that bloomed profusely year after year. You can see in this photo what a statement the trellis made in the overall design. The two  Ornamental Plum trees on either side were beautiful in every season. When we moved last May to our ‘cottage for two’ the trellis was removed and is waiting patiently to be incorporated into a new design that is under consideration.

DSCN2885On a garden tour, I saw this addition to a garage at the back of a small garden. This trellis is simple but effective

bf104acc332c8b22d41da7524a9bd30dDepending on your budget and space, dream big and incorporate a trellis in your design

This entry was posted in AtoZ Blog Challenge -April 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Consider a Trellis

These are wonderful ideas.

2. Patti Hall says:

Love the picture that you trellis and plum trees makes! I do love a trellis or two 🙂
    P

3. jodaley says:

Thank you for stopping by my blog, and for your comment. I really would love to add some roses to our yard this year. I said I was going to do it last year, but we never did. I have what I think is the perfect spot, and we also have a fence we could use as a trellis for some climbers. We have an abundance of wildlife up here (including black bear) so we’re always cautious in what we plant. Enjoy your day, and best of luck with these last letters of the alphabet! We’re on the home stretch now!

• Look into ‘Knockout Roses’ while dreaming because they are so easy to grow and disease resistant. Now about those bears…..that could be a problem if they are like the deer and like roses.

4. wordstock16 says:

This is probably the first time in my life where I do not have a trellis in my yard. Reading this and seeing the pictures makes me want to run to the nearest garden center to rectify that error. It is something I am going to look into. Thanks!

5. I have a dream of covering my back deck with a big trellis covered with vines. Maybe next year.

6. What a talent! Your garden is amazing! How do you do it?
    When it comes to gardening, I’m hopeless.
    I once killed a cactus. Can you imagine that? How difficult is it to kill a cactus? Very difficult. So that tells you. It was a miniature, window-sill potted plant. Now I stay away from plants. It’s safer that way. 🙂
    Thank you for stopping by my place and leaving a comment!
    Writer In Transit

• Don’t deprive yourself of other gardeners creativity even if growing plants is not for you. Gardens still feed the soul leaving you time to do all the things you are gifted at. Come back when you can.

7. Chrys Fey says:

When I have a garden, I will definitely have a trellis. To me, you can’t have a garden without one. 🙂

8. jossaryn says:

I love garden trellises. In fact, one thing I adore is a garden with some architecture. So beautiful! Returning your visit with thanks. 🙂

The Immarcescible Word

9. Maria says:

Hi Stepheny, I enjoyed perusing through your posts in the A to Z challenge. Went to visit the castle and take the tour. Love those old English and Scottish castles. Visited a few throughout Europe once upon a time. Especially liked those old ruins in Ireland. Trellises add such beauty to a garden and can allow you to accommodate plants that otherwise wouldn’t work out as well. Beautiful pictures. Thanks. Maria, http://www.delightdirectedliving.blogspot.com/

10. greyzoned/angelsbark says:

Beautiful! I love trellises. Can’t wait to see and read some of your other A-Z posts. I envy those that are so talented with gardening.

11. How nice that you are doing gardens. I grew up in Plymouth, MA, working at various historical sites and fell in love with English knot gardens. I’m local – Chapel Hill – and the Sarah Duke Gardens are a regular stop for us.

12. Paula Kaye says:

I am glad that you visited my blog today! Because it gave me the chance to come to yours and find this fascinating series. I am going all the way back to A.

13. I made a trellis for my mother for her moonflowers. It was eerie watching them bloom under the light of a full moon. Thanks for visiting my blog today! 🙂

14. Colleen Chen says:

I can already tell your A-Z series is full of eye candy! Those trellises are gorgeous.

Your Durham garden was lovely. Can’t wait to see how you incorporate the special trellis into your new garden.

16. Suzy says:

A trellis is a great idea and the last picture is beautiful. Thanks so much for visiting my blog.

17. afshan18 says:

That Trellis looks so bful Stepheny !
    I would love to have one when I get a home for my self . Great photographers
    Thanks for visiting my blog – http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.in/

18. I’ve always liked looking at trellis structures. I don’t have a green thumb, though. My mother did. Maybe one day I’ll have a trellis like that 🙂

19. n says:

I think a trellis is romantic. Especial when they have climbing flowers growing all over them.

20. I do like trellis’s in gardens and maybe in my next house we’ll be able to put one up! Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting! I love to garden (when it isn’t too hot or cold!) and am enjoying spring flowing into summer right now, here in the southeast. Lovely blog you have!

21. gapark says:

Enjoying my stop here on the A-Z blog hop! Thanks for visiting me. I just did a makeover on my backyard garden and included installing a trellis/arbor. My wisteria is in the process of learning to grow up and over it, to make a lovely bower hideaway for my daily meditations. I’ve included a stone bench underneath–heaven! Gail