AtoZ Blog Challenge – F – Fairy Lights of Chicago

WELCOME TO THE #CHALLENGE

Inviting you to follow my blog and join me this evening on Michigan Avenue among the Fairy Lights

images-17I hope on a future visit to Chicago you will experience the fairy lights along Michigan Ave. In writing Facing East, set in Chicago, I couldn’t resist writing about the magic of these lights.

Would the passengers riding in bumper to bumper cabs along Michigan Avenue notice that the fairy lights along the way were slowly being extinguished, their magical powers obliterated by the snow?  Facing East.

images-18

They rode down Michigan Avenue where the fairy lights and shoppers all mingled together in a blur of light and shadows. Katherine looked over at Johanna who had fallen silent.“This is amazing,” she said. It’s as if we’re watching the beginning of a theatrical production through the windows of the taxi.” A light snow had begun to fall upon the stage before them. When they joined the festive crowd at the Auditorium Theatre on East Congress Parkway, Johanna said, “I’m beginning to understand the allure of all this, Katherine.” “In time, I hoped you would.” Facing East

images-19

This entry was posted in AtoZ Blog Challenge April 2015 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to AtoZ Blog Challenge – F – Fairy Lights of Chicago

1. How pretty! Thanks for visiting my blog 🙂

Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

2. Ronda says:

Lovely! I will be in Chicago in October to watch my daughter run the marathon there. We will be sure to see the “fairy lights.”

• Ronda-I wrote for the letter A about a FREE architectural tour that has 125 sites. Be sure to check that out in case you are lucky and they are the same weekend. You can watch the marathon and SEE some beautiful buildings too.I’m hoping to plan a trip around the weekend opportunity. Thanks for visiting. Come back for some other Chicago ideas.

Best time is when there is snow! It’s like a winter wonderland!

4. tara tyler says:

i’ve been to chicago only a few times, but it’s always been a blast! i’m enjoying your added chi-town features. especially these fairy lights – pretty!

5. Sue Kuentz says:

Just gorgeous – fairy lights! My neice just moved down to San Antonio, TX from Chicago. She loved Chicago but hated the cold. So glad you found me because I’ll be checking out yours also!

• My new novel, set partially in Chicago, deals with that cold your niece has fled. They had another brutal winter. Living in NC for a number of years now, ‘home’ has lost its charm during the winter. Thanks for returning the visit. Let’s do it again.

6. John Holton says:

Are the fairy lights up all year, or just during Christmastime? I don’t remember these.

7. pempispalace says:

I love your description, “Would the passengers riding in bumper to bumper cabs along Michigan Avenue notice that the fairy lights along the way were slowly being extinguished, their magical powers obliterated by the snow?” just perfect for teaching children how an author makes words paint a picture. Lovely to meet you through the A to Z Challenge – Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

8. As a born and raised child of Illinois cornfields I can tell you Chicago has always held a special kind of wonder for me. These have been great posts and make me ache to take a drive north very soon.

• Come back and visit throughout April for a Chicago area fix. I’ll be waiting for you. If all else fails consider my new novel set in the Chicago area with Seattle and Italy thrown in for good measure. I’ll be watching for you.

9. Donna says:

Hi Stepheny 🙂 Looks like I’m not as tech challenged as I thought…I made it over her to your site 🙂 I love those fairy lights! I’ve never been to Chicago yet. Guess I need to have these on my to see list for sure! The photos are beautiful. Have a great day

10. anneyoungau says: