AtoZ Blog Challenge – L – Lutz Bakery

WELCOME TO THE #CHALLENGE

‘FOLLOW ME’ SO YOU DON’T MISS THE FUN

images-3

I wrote a scene that includes the famous Lutz Bakery in Ravenswood, IL If you have time to visit the many neighborhoods in Chicago, you might want to have lunch at this bakery as Katherine, the main character in Facing East does.

When they walked in the door of the bakery they were flooded with the fragrance of hazelnut, chocolate and vanilla. In the display cases were beautiful cakes, tortes, and cookies of all sorts. Katherine and Johanna moved slowly by the cases, taking it all in.

Johanna finally smiled. “Fabulous.”

“They claim they still bake with the traditional European recipes the Lutz family has always used. Isn’t it something?”

A stout woman behind the counter, her hair tucked beneath a hair net, welcomed them. She heard Katherine’s comment and added, “The Lutz’s stay true to the Konditorei method by using only the best quality ingredients that are delicate and light.”

Neither Katherine nor Johanna had any idea what the word Konditorei meant; their expressions gave them away.

The woman explained, using her hand to gesture around the shop, “Konditorei is the German word for a patisserie and confectionary shop. A Konditorei typically offers a wide variety of pastries and is like a little cafe in Germany. It’s a popular custom to go to a Konditorei to have a cake and some coffee or hot chocolate mid-afternoon.

images-5

This entry was posted in AtoZ Blog Challenge April 2015 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to AtoZ Blog Challenge – L – Lutz Bakery

I can almost smell those pastries. What a wonderful custom to visit a Konditorei every day.

How did I miss this place? Will have to fix that when we are next in Chicago!

3. That sounds like a wonderful place to sit and catch up with a friend.

4. Hi Stephanie! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and also for buying my books! I’ve added the follower gadget to my site if you want to pop back over now. I LOVE books that have lots of food scenes in them! Yours sounds charming – I will check it out!

• Thank you for visiting. I will go back and be sure I am now following. Your two books will arrive in a few days. I’ll let you know. This is the great reason for the #Challenge-new blogging friends.

5. p.s. I’ve followed you

6. Corinne O'Flynn says:

That bakery looks AMAZING!! I grew up in NYC and you could always find a bakery where you could pop in and pick up a box of assorted cookies or pastries to bring to a friend’s house. I live in CO now, and it’s just not available here. Though, I recently learned the bakery from my old neighborhood is still there, going strong! Happy a-to-z!
    Corinne

7. I just learned something new… I didn’t know what Konditorei meant (nor had I ever heard it before… That I know of anyway…)
    Sounds like a nice little place 🙂

8. We are so fortunate here in Cuenca, Ecuador to a have a first class bakery. It’s not easy, baking at 8400 ft, and the while the locals bake a lot, their breads, pastries and cookies tend to be dry and often too sweet. We love Popacuchu!

DB McNicol, author
    April A-Z Participant

9. chrysfey says:

I love a good bakery. The piece you wrote was vivid. I could smell and see everything you described. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by my blog!

-Chrys Fey
    Tremp’s Troops – A to Z Co-co-host
    Write with Fey

10. Jean says:

After our recent experience in Chicago, we plan to spend more time there in the future. You have a great series going on this month.

Jean, back from the Grand Tour and visiting for the A-Z Challenge from Rantings and Ravings of an Insane Writer Number 209 on the A-Z List.

Jean Schara
    Blackbirds First Flight (Quin)
    Blackbirds Second Flight (Glaring Upheaval and Malone’s Way)

• Thank you Jean. I hope you can get back to Chicago. It is a city that works. In writing the novel, set in Chicago and area, it allowed me to go back home, regardless of what Thomas Wolfe says. Come back and see me when you can.

11. cleemckenzie says:

I love stories that use real places as part of their setting. And how wonderful for the Lutz bakery! They are going to love you. I could almost smell the sugar from your excerpt. Lovely.

• Wish we could meet there and get better acquainted. Delighted that you found the post tempting. I’ve only been there once, but in writing about the neighborhoods of Chicago, Ravenswood and the Bakery were a must. Come back and see me when you can.

12. That a great idea to use a real place. Since I write science fiction I don’t use real locales but they do give me ideas.

• One of the joys of writing Facing East was the setting, partially set in Chicago and area. Besides the research, which I love, it allowed me to remember growing up at a time when a child was safe and playing was possible every day. I appreciate your visiting Susan, and though I don’t write science fiction, might post something you would still enjoy. At the moment I am out in my spring garden. I’ll watch for your return by the garden gate.