AtoZ Blog Challenge – Z – Zoo-Lincoln Park

I hope you have enjoyed the 2015 AtoZ Challenge. I am grateful for all your comments and compliments about the excerpts from the new novel, Facing East. Come back and visit. You can follow the blog and receive notice when there is a post. After a brief vacation from blogging, I’ll be back and hope to meet you by my garden gate.

f796833b97b20be4d8d0d879705d37b8

Katherine settled in to watch the zoo enthusiasts. She envied the toddlers strapped into their strollers, head back, mouth open, having their afternoon naps. How wonderful it would be to hitch a ride with one them, and take a quick nap herself. A child needed someone to push them in a stroller, to push them on a swing, and someone to read to them. The brigade of strollers on parade indicated that at least one of these needs was being fulfilled.    From my new novel, Facing East

A wikipedia moment: Lincoln Park Zoo is a free 35-acre zoo located in Lincoln Park in Chicago, Illinois. The zoo was founded in 1868, making it one of the oldest zoos in the U.S when the Lincoln Park Commissioners were given a gift of a pair of swans by Central Park’s Board of Commissioners in New York City  In 1874, the swans were joined by a bear cub from the Philadelphia Zoo the first animal purchased for the zoo. The bear became quite adept at escaping from its home and could frequently be found roaming Lincoln Park at night.28f525308032404ec9d28a9f151de204images-7

This entry was posted in AtoZ Blog Challenge April 2015 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to AtoZ Blog Challenge – Z – Zoo-Lincoln Park

1. Your post makes me wish I could visit Lincoln Park Zoo. I’m a big fan of a day at the Zoo.

2. Ruby Young says:

Hello, Stepheny, Thanks for stopping by my blog! I see you love flowers as well! I am a quilter of some means, no expert by any means, (ha) but enjoy doing so, carrying on a family tradition. I’ve written several books (all on my blog, and only published in that manner). Maybe, one of these days, I’ll get them redone in document form and get them published. Best regards toyou. Ruby

Love the zoo – and wouldn’t it be nice to be carried around all day, fed, bathed and coddled? We didn’t know what we had!

4. johnvic8 says:

Congratulations, Stepheny, on the completion of your April A-Z challenge. What an accomplishment and how inventive to find such interesting items to include for each letter. Thanks for a fascinating tour of Chicago and Italy. Good luck with the new novel.

5. I’m drooling over the idea of being pushed around in a stroller while I nap. That’s sounding pretty good today!

6. timsbrannan says:

I love the Lincoln Park Zoo! We go there all the time. Well…in the Summer anyway.

Congratulations on completing the A to Z blogging challenge!
    Don’t forget about the A to Z Reflections post coming up in May.

Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Vampires

7. Misha says:

She’s doing one of my favorite things. Not going to zoos. People watching. 😉

Congrats on the win.

8. John Holton says:

Lincoln Park is a great zoo. You know Marlin Perkins used to run it, right?

Great theme this year!

9. My ex husnand ( father of my kids) is from Chicago and so is my best friend ( college roommate ) I love Chicago and Lincoln park zoo is the best zoo I’ve neen to. Other than Wrigley field, shopping on Michigan ave and playing tourist at Navy Park, it’s my favorite place to visit.

Congratulations for making it to the end of the challenge. I’m trying to make my way through the list and visit all the participants.
    Melissa Sugar
    @msugar13
    Sugarlaw13@live.com

• It is a great city for reasons you named. You might want to tell your Chicago connections about the site, Forgotten Chicago. They post incredible architectural photos. Wish you and I could stroll down Michigan Ave. this afternoon. Let’s have lunch at Smith and Wolinsky on the river.

10. I have many fond memories of visits to the Lincoln Park zoo with our kids when they were small. Brookfield is bigger and fancier,but Lincoln Park is more intimate and has the city as an exciting backdrop.

11. Congratulations on finishing A to Z. Thank you for visiting my blog. I enjoyed the piece from your new novel, Facing East. And the information on the zoo. I wish I didn’t live so far away so I could visit the park. A stroll with my stroller would be lovely.