A – The American Club – Kohler, WI Begins the A to Z Blog Challenge

Welcome to the #AtoZ Blog Challenge and a Tour of Hotels & Inns

250px-AmericanClubEntranceWinter2007

The American Club

An explanation of this year’s theme choice:  I renewed my interest in hotel architecture and architects after discovering the vital part the Poinsett Hotel played in the reimagining of Greenville, SC. The hotel survived almost 20 years of neglect. The reopening of this hotel was key to Greenville’s future. Across the country there are countless cities in decline that are trying to find a way to reinvent themselves. The historic significance of Main Street USA architecture is playing a part in the rebuilding of these cities. In 2016, people are making decisions about where to live based on a sense of place and the availability of a significant architectural inventory that awaits a new life. The romance of historic hotels, the part they play in the life of a community caused me to choose ‘Hotels & Inns’ as my theme for this year’s #Challenge. Where possible, I have written from personal experience of the places on this arm chair tour. Saving the Poinsett was key to  Greenville’s sense of place. The hotels and Inns on this #Challenge tour are also key to their communities. Enjoy!

Because of this introductory explanation, my allotment of your availability is now limited, leaving time for only a brief introduction to  The American Club that played a part in the surprise 40th birthday of our oldest daughter. It was the perfect place to hid out for the day. There is splendid architecture, golf, the Kohler museum, and lovely restaurants.

A brief note on how The American Club came to be: Richard Philipp was an American architect in Wisconsin who in 1906 partnered with  the-american-clubPeter Brust in the firm of Brust & Philipp based in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He worked on “Kohler Village” for Walter Kohler, designing structures built from 1916 through the mid-1920s. What became The American Club hotel was built in 1924, a historic Five-Star hotel located one hour north of Milwaukee and 2.5 hours north of downtown Chicago. The English Tudor-style structure was once a dormitory for the workers of Kohler’s bath supply company at the turn of the 20th century. The space has been lavishly updated.

Tomorrow we will begin our tour without further explanation of this year’s #Challenge theme. We’re off to Louisville, Kentucky and The Brown Hotel, integral to Louisville’s story.

This entry was posted in A to Z Blog Challenge April 2016 and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to A – The American Club – Kohler, WI Begins the A to Z Blog Challenge

1. Nice start, Stepheny, to what promises to be aninteresting month.

Keith Channing at http://keithkreates.com

2. patgarcia says:

Hi,
    As a woman who was born in the Deep South and lived close to the South Carolina border, it was nice to see that South Carolina is renovating and bringing back to life some of its old charm.
    Thank you.
    Shalom,
    Patricia EverythingMustChange

3. Sounds like an interesting place. Looking forward to your next post. @Ma_holloway from
    If I Only Had A Time Machine

4. Jean Davis says:

Looks like a beautiful place. Those factory workers had a lovely dormitory building. Thanks for sharing a little history.

5. winnie mazee says:

Seems like its going to be an interesting month ahead, you have chosen an interesting topic… I can’t wait for more!😃

6. randommusings29 says:

The building is beautiful. Great start to the challenge 🙂
    Debbie

• Tudor architecture, such an interesting subject with plenty of research to add to this A post. Alas, making it too long for people to bother with. Thanks for visiting. Join me for this arm chair tour of special hotels and inns. Hope to see you along the way.

7. Cynthia says:

What a charming looking building. That’s nice to know the hotel was able to be revived after years of neglect.

8. Interesting choice of theme, and a beautiful building to start off with. 🙂

9. LilyElement says:

Can’t wait to see tomorrow’s post about The Brown Hotel 🙂

10. greyzoned/angelsbark says:

Sounds like an interesting theme. Nice to get to travel. I need to do more of it for sure…
    Have fun with the A-Z!

Michele at Angels Bark

11. Diane Coto says:

An interesting topic and a beautiful hotel. I should make my way to see it since I live in SC. 🙂
    @dino0726 from
    FictionZeal – Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

12. claowue says:

It is very pretty. I think you spent wonderful hours there.

• Wish I could have written more about Tudor architecture, but writing WHY I had picked my theme meant the post would have been too long. Come back when you can, if you have an interest.

• claowue says:

As I understood it’s build in Milwaukee in the 1920s, so it’s some kind of Neo-Tudor, erm… Historicism Architecture, isn’t it? At this time in Germany architectures built Art-Nouveau houses and picturesque and sometimes a bit like medieval castles looking houses.
        I will follow your blog because I am interested in the following letters 🙂

13. Hi Stepheny! Great theme for the Challenge. Isn’t it interesting how a structure’s purpose can change throughout the years? I love learning about historic buildings that have been reclaimed and repurposed, like factories that have long since been abandoned being turned into artist lofts or galleries. Looking forward to following you across the U.S. on the hotel trail. 🙂

14. pilch92 says:

Thank you for visiting me today. I like your blog and your a-z theme.

15. WanderLost says:

I absolutely love to travel, and this building is absolutely beautiful. I may have to put it on my bucket list!

16. Excellent topic! This is going to be fun!

17. HangryFork says:

I love your theme Stepheny!

It is hard to believe The American Club was once a dorm. Are these the same Kohler’s as the faucets and toilets? I wonder why the club was neglected for 20 years?

I’m visiting from the A to Z Challenge.

Shelly @ http://hangryfork.com

18. John Holton says:

Interesting that they originally set it up for the people who worked at the factory, now it’s an upscale facility. Funny how that works…

John Holton
    Blogging from A to Z Challenge Co-Host
    The Sound of One Hand Typing

19. Elizabeth says:

That hotel looks so charming 🙂 It has an interesting history. I enjoy learning the origins of various places. Thanks for visiting my page today!
    Elizabeth @ Liz’s Random Ponderings

20. As a thanks for dropping by my blog, I thought I’d reciprocate. Wonderful post. If I ever get down there, I’ll have to look it up.

21. So fascinating! I am really looking forward to your list!

Scott Parker-Anderson
    I waste megabytes over at WALDINA

22. bobbic1219 says:

How Interesting!! I love how interesting the history is. I cant wait to check it out in person. I love visiting all of the A to Z Blog Challenge!

23. Good point about cities needing to reinvent themselves, or rejuvenate what once made them great. We are, as a culture, starting to appreciate the craftsmanship and beauty of the buildings and landscape of the past. Love hotel.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Mary at Play off the Page

• Thanks, Mary for leaving your comment. We’ve lost a lot of buildings that should have been saved, but communities are beginning to understand what historical significance they can offer those who are deciding where to live. The hotels and inns offer a sense of place. Come back when you can.

24. Looks like a beautiful place I’d love to get to stay at!
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

25. BellyBytes says:

I’m glad I discovered your blog! I love visiting the world this way and look forward to the 25 more inns and hotels

26. Your theme for 2016 sounds great. Looking forward to your A-Z posts again this year

27. That’s a really lovely, homey looking place!

Anna
    ATSP @ Deeply Shallow
    @natzers

28. Nice to hear my city get a shout out today, Milwaukee. Oddly, I don’t think I’ve ever been to Kohler.

29. Kathe W. says:

very fun theme Stepheny! And thanks for visiting my A to Z ! I do try to keep my blog uncluttered and fun to visit! Definitely interested in architecture- so I’ll be checking in with you! My dad was State Architect for California during the 1980’s and he had delight in being involved in the State Capitol’s restoration.

30. Lori Carlson says:

Wonderful theme, Stepheny! I love hotels and inns too and look forward to reading about these through the alphabet.
    Many Blessings,