B – The Brown Hotel – Louisville, Kentucky

Welcome to the #AtoZ Blog Challenge and a Tour of Hotels & Inns

gal-2Video – Hot Brown Sandwich Recipe

While growing up, my mother & father were skeet shooters who competed across the country. Each year we stayed at The Brown in Louisville, Ky. for the few days of the Skeet Shoot. It was a grand and sparkly place that made a little girl feel grown up. On one of these visits, while my folks spent the day on the skeet field, a local family took me to see The University of Kentucky in Lexington, Ky. I was in 7th grade. I decided then and there that this is where I wanted to go to college.Many years later I lived in Louisville for awhile.

I have never forgotten ordering the famous Hot Brown Sandwich from the hotel menu. See the above video to learn how to make this delicious dish for your friends and family.  If you find yourself in Louisville, do visit the hotel to look around, to order a Hot Brown, to stay the night. Located on the corner of 4th & Broadway, the hotel was designed by Preston J. Bradshaw and opened in 1923. The hotel cost $4 million, and was funded and owned by James Graham Brown, a local entrepreneur. Preston J. Bradshaw (1884–1952) was one of the most eminent architects of St. Louis, Missouri, during the 1920s. Among his numerous commissions as an architect, Bradshaw is best known for designing hotels in the region.The Brown is a 16-story concrete and steel hotel built in the Georgian Revival style, faced in brick and trimmed in stone and terra cotta. The interior design of the Brown is primarily of the English Renaissance style with Adams period detail. The Brown is part of the Louisville story, an asset to the community; a part of my fond memories.the-brown-history-8TheBrown-Historic-700x469

120px-The_Brown_Hotel,_Louisville,_KY

This entry was posted in A to Z Blog Challenge April 2016 and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to B – The Brown Hotel – Louisville, Kentucky

1. claowue says:

It looks great, noble. I don’t know if I would dare to enter with my big backpack on the back… 😉

• People seem to travel today in a casual state of mind. I wouldn’t let a backpack keep me from entering and looking around. OR, you could leave your backpack off and just join me for this arm chair travel to more hotels and inns. Hope you have time.

• claowue says:

Sure. My backpack is “in hospital” anyway. 😉 So I have time to travel with you.

2. Thank you for visiting my blog!

I am now smiling big because I see you also love to look at architecture. Georgian style is so beautiful.

My greatest building addiction (if you could call it that 😉 ) is medieval architecture. I am very blessed to live in Europe, surrounded by countries with the most amazing buildings:)

Have a wonderful A to Z,
    Sylvia van Bruggen

• You are blessed to live in the midst of endless amazing buildings. Hope you will have time to come back to the blog as I continue on with other hotels and inns. The letter R is about a hotel in Rome that I found while researching for a novel, Facing East. It was perfect for what I needed. If you have time and interest do come back. If all else fails come for the letter T and we will have tea together while visiting a hotel.

3. I had no idea that clay pigeon shooting was known as skeet shooting in America. Isn’t Wikipedia useful!
    The hot brown sandwich looks delicious, althoug I prefer my bacon (a) very, very lean, and (b) not crispy.
    Keith Channing A-Zing from http://keithkreates.com

• The targets are made of clay…clay pigeons. skeet and trap shooters use the same clay targets. In trap, the shooter remains stationary and the targets are thrown in front of them in various angles. In skeet, the shooter moves from station to station. Lean bacon works fine on a Hot Brown. Selecting a sharp cheese that adds flavor to the sauce is the key. Enjoy! If this theme of hotels and inns call to you, come back!

4. patgarcia says:

This hotel reminds me of a hotel in the United Kingdom, Italy, and France. The Georgian style is beautiful and I too feel very blessed as an American ExPat to live in Europe.
    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

5. wgr56 says:

A lovely building, and a great new sandwich for me to try. Thanks so much!

• Louisville, KY. has grown and changed since the early days when the Brown Hotel opened, but still stands proud and tall offering a sense of place. Enjoy the sandwich. Use a cheese that is sharp and makes an impact on the taste. Let me know what you think. Come back when you can if hotels and inns call to you.

• Be sure to use a cheese that is on the sharp side so the sauce really has a flavor. Let me know what you think. Enjoy.

6. The sandwich looks delicious and easy to make. Who doesn’t like bacon. The hotel looks like the place to stay.

7. Jen says:

What a beautiful place and what a fun memory! I’ve always loved staying in hotels. When I was little, I always felt kind of mysterious going into a hotel for the first time. No one knew me and, at least in my mind, I could be anyone I wanted to be while I was there!

Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday! Oh, and thank for mentioning my lack of a “follow by email button”. I added it just below the list of blog followers! Hope to see you again soon for more herb posts. I ‘ll definitely stop by to read about more gorgeous hotels!

Cheers,
    Jen

• Thanks for adding the e-mail follow button. I’ll go back and sign up. Don’t you love this about the #Challenge. Just because we love plants and hotels, we have a reason to become blogging pals. Have fun. See you along the way.

8. It looks like a regal kind of place from the outside. I like old world hotel style, it transports the visitor, unlike some the modern-looking hotels which can be merely functional.
    Sophie
    Sophie’s Thoughts & Fumbles | Wittegen Press | FB3X

9. Diane Coto says:

Wow! I’m glad for your fond memories of the hotel. It really looks beautiful. 🙂
    @dino0726 from
    FictionZeal – Impartial, Straightforward Fiction Book Reviews

10. Thanks for sharing. That recipe looks awesome–of course non-lumpy gravy is an impossibility in my world. lol

11. John Holton says:

I never had one of the sandwiches; they didn’t bother to tell me about them. Maybe it was just at certain times. As I said, it seemed to have gone to seed a little when I was there. Maybe it’s different now; I hope so, anyway.

12. HangryFork says:

Yum, now I’m hungry for a Hot Brown Sandwich! What a grand old hotel.

I’m visiting from the A to Z Challenge
    Shelly @ http://hangryfork.com

You got me with the sandwich, Stephany! I’m salivating after watching the video. Hope to visit this hotel sometime!

14. M Denise C says:

Hi, Stepheny! What a great theme for the A to Z! I have always wanted to visit Louisville and just might have to stop in or stay at the Brown. Cannot wait to follow you throughout the Challenge! Cheers, Denise

15. mkmmajean says:

I love your theme. I’ll be adding you to my RSS list so I don’t miss a single post.

Thank you for visiting me, Stepheny. Jean, visiting for the A-Z Challenge. @PolarBear60 on Twitter and http://pmtoo.jeanschara.com/journal

16. Sue says:

Such an interesting travel theme. I’d love to visit The Brown, and if ever in Louisville, KY…it will be on my list as well as the sandwich. Neat that you have those memories of your parents unusual sport as a couple..skeet shooting. Thanks for stopping by my ‘Button’ post for the Letter ‘B’. I’d be happy to have you follow my blog…you can through Google+ which I will Friend you through or you can join my G+ Followers on my blogs right side bar.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

17. Elizabeth says:

It sounds like a nice place to stay, and those sandwiches look delicious!
    Elizabeth @ Liz’s Random Ponderings

18. Love your theme. My goal is to someday take a road trip around the U.S. I’m signing up to learn about the historic hotels I might visit along the way. Hope you’ll stop by my blog
    http://www.lorihenriksen.com My theme is Women in the 1930s. Maybe you’ll have Minneapolis or
    La Jolla historic hotels in your blog. Both are settings in my novel.

• I’ve been doing a lot of research on that period for another blog I write. I will go and find you and follow along. Love this about the #Challenge. It must be true that when the student is ready, a teacher will appear. Come back if you have time. Let me know if you find a favorite.

19. Looks like a great sandwich. I’ll have to give that a try sometime if I don’t ever make it to Kentucky.

20. trishafaye says:

Such lovely hotels you’ve been choosing for the A to Z challenge. I can’t wait to see the others.

21. A very contemporary looking building for it’s day. I’m going to check out this special sandwich!
    Revisit the Tender Years with me during the #AtoZChallenge at Life & Faith in Caneyhead!

22. ann bennett says:

A hot brown does sound tasty. I wish I could travel a bit. I get out a wee bit but find myself homebound with a few folks who need a little care. So I’ll look up the sandwich and we will have a treat one evening. Or at least, I hope everyone enjoys it. Great Blog.
    Ann Bennett @annbennett12

Too Much To Choose FromScience Ladybug

• Arm Chair Travel is possible throughout the #Challenge and beyond after finding a blog and blogger you enjoy. If you can’t get out, at least join me to visit the other hotels and inns. I believe you will find others I have selected to think about….in the future. Do fix the sandwich and pick a cheese that is sharp so the flavor of the sauce is not blah. Come back when you can.

23. Liz A. says:

Add that to the list of places I’d like to see.

24. johnvic8 says:

That hot brown sandwich looks absolutely fantastic.

25. Lori Carlson says:

What a gorgeous hotel! I love Georgian architecture.
    Many Blessings,
    Lori

My A2Zs @ As the Fates Would Have It & Promptly Written
    Follow Me (Ravyne) Twitter|Facebook

26. Gail says:

I am enjoying how you are weaving in bits of your own personal and family history into these vignettes. Well-written!