D – The Dunhill Hotel – Charlotte, NC

Welcome to the #AtoZ Blog Challenge and a Tour of Hotels & Inns

"VFMLID=59980681"

The Dunhill Hotel is among the few National Trust Historic Hotels of America hotels in North Carolina, and is one of the program’s first boutique establishments. The hotel was designed by architect Louis Asbury Sr. who was one of Charlotte’s, and North Carolina’s, leading architects in the 1910s and 1920s. The Hotel originally opened in 1929 as the Mayfair Manor. The ten-story Hotel has been fully restored and is a landmark in the arts community and cultural district. Its refined architecture with neoclassical embellishments adds character and a distinctive shape to the Uptown skyline.

Typical of the architects of his day, Asbury’s practice encompassed many types of buildings: schools, churches, and civic buildings constituted a substantial proportion of his work. For much of his career he employed neoclassical and “colonial” modes along with Tudor and Gothic Revival designs. Late in his career he adopted modernist styles as well.

Fully restored in 1987 and most recently renovated in 2008, The Dunhill now serves as the cornerstone of the city’s art and cultural district which is Spirit Square. The lobby and guest rooms feature elegant 18th-century European furnishings. Here is another significant hotel in the life of a city that tells a story worth honoring. I haven’t had the pleasure, but it is on my list. I’m sure you see why.

view-of-the-dunhill-from filename-p3190129-jpg

This entry was posted in A to Z Blog Challenge April 2016 and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to D – The Dunhill Hotel – Charlotte, NC

1. Not too far from me…I’ll have to look for this one.

2. trishafaye says:

Looks like a lovely place to visit. Thanks for sharing with us.

3. Arti Jain says:

Hi Stepheny. It’s always good when historical places are looked after, restored and preserved. Viisting from A to Z:)

4. Lovely building. I like the look of older architecture. So many nice details.

• Because I am interested in the revitalization of communities that are rebuilding on their architectural inventory, these historic hotels and inns play a vital role in the story of the location. Interesting, don’t you agree?

5. BellyBytes says:

Looks like a nice handsome building!

6. Buildings with interesting architectural lines always make me wonder how someone can design them. This one has a unique personality.
    Stephany, you stopped by my site for AtoZ and asked about a place to request an email notice. I finally figured out how to add the email request! Hope you have a chance to stop by and check it out!
    Gail
    Gail’s 2016 April A to Z Challenge
    D is for Deadly Sins

• Thank you, I am now FOLLOWING. With an e-mail notification of a post I return again and again. Too difficult to remember to check and see if something new is happening with a favorite blog. Delighted to find you.

7. Lori Carlson says:

Love that they restored it.. so many have been torn down. We had a large hotel here in my small town once, but instead of renovation, they tore it down. Would have loved to seen it in its heyday. Would love to see this one too!
    Many Blessings,
    Lori

My A2Zs @ As the Fates Would Have It & Promptly Written
    Follow Me (Ravyne) Twitter|Facebook

• I write another blog about the revitalization of the community we now live in. The posts honoring the past usually have the most visitors. Like your town, a large Ricks Hotel was torn down. People made comment about their memories. Difficult to have the foresight to know what to save. Thank you for leaving your comments that enrich the posts.

• Lori Carlson says:

You will have to send me a link to your post. They saved a few things here.. our Masonic Theater is currently under renovation. The whole town is now mostly historic renovated buildings with quaint little shops or restaurants in them.. and we have the C&O Railroad Historical Society here as well.

8. Would LOVE to talk further with you about your experience in the revitalization of your community. Trying to think how to do this privately. IF you are on Facebook, as am I, would you write me a private message with your e-mail, or if you are on, I will go to it and leave mine. In the meantime, type in Mainstreetrockymount.com my other blog where I write about our situation. Thanks.

Fantastic architectural find! Next time we have to be in Charlotte, I’m staying there!