U – Umstead Hotel and Spa – Cary, N.C. – For The Love of the Arts

Welcome to the #AtoZ Blog Challenge and a Tour of Hotels & Inns

thDale Chihuly’s blown-glass sculpture – centerpiece of the collection

It was a special occasion when some of my lady friends made our first reservation for lunch at the Umstead Hotel. It had been widely publicized that a significant collection of painting, sculpture, and pottery had been installed throughout the hotel and grounds. We were especially interested in the hotel’s large collection of pottery. Ben Owen III, a third-generation artist from North Carolina’s distinguished Owen family of potters, is widely represented, as is Mark Hewitt, a potter from England who lives and works in Pittsboro, NC. The Umstead Hotel and Spa in Cary blends art and nature at every juncture to make this 2010 AAA Five Diamond Award-winning hotel its own North Carolina masterpiece. There is art from other parts of the world including accent tables designed in Italy. You will enjoy this visual delight.

The Umstead has an in-house art gallery open to the public, where new exhibitions are lsfeatured every four to five months. The hotel supports North Carolina artists to a large extent. Floral designer Steven K. Taras has on-going arrangements at the hotel. I have attended his lecture/demonstrations at the NC Museum of Art whenever possible. He creates a new arrangement every Thursday for the hotel lobby.

― Aurelio Vazquez Duran

This entry was posted in A to Z Blog Challenge April 2016 and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to U – Umstead Hotel and Spa – Cary, N.C. – For The Love of the Arts

1. My husband and I had a special dinner there not too long ago. The public spaces are lovely. I hear they do a nice afternoon tea and have been threatening to take my sister-in-law and mother-in-law for years now. I’m not sure if we’ll be going back for dinner any time soon, but I would go and sit in their lounge at any time. It is a beautiful spot to sit and the cocktails were interesting.

2. JJelliff says:

This sounds like such a nice hotel! It would be neat to make this a yearly destination to check out the art and see what has changed!

3. patgarcia says:

North Carolina has much to offer in terms of the arts. I have had the privilege of visiting a few cities on the coastline and must say I am very much impressed.

Visiting from the A to Z Blog Challenge.

Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

4. Sounds like a beautiful setting! I’ve seen some of Dale Chihuly’s work at various places, and it never ceases to amaze. It’s great to see business owners who open their space to the arts.

5. J E Oneil says:

It sounds amazing! I wish I could go. I can see why that sculpture is the centerpiece.

6. Looks like a lovely spot to visit!
    Thanks for stopping by at Heart of a Ready Writer – and Happy A-Z. Here we are, rounding the corner to the end of the challenge.

7. sarahallanauthor says:

That sounds lovely! And art, to boot.

8. Robyn Engel says:

I’m sure the photos don’t begin to do it justice, too. Fun theme, Stepheny.
    Thanks for visiting, so I could discover your luxurious A-Z goings on. Smiles.

9. Barbed Words says:

Gorgeous hotel and I love the quote! Good luck for the final few days of the #atozchallenge!!!

Barb @ barbedwords.wordpress.com

10. Oh what a lovely idea for a hotel to have an in-house gallery open to the public. I’m loving this series of yours – you’re creating bucket list of places I want to travel to!

11. danandjaye says:

Oooh, I love this quote, perfect! “I do not think that when in a hotel you have to feel “at home”, on the contrary, you have to get the feeling that you are definitely elsewhere…”

I’d never even heard of this place! Sounds like the place to go for a special meal. NC certainly has a lot of wonderful grand hotels!