The Cotton is High – June 19

Welcome if you are visiting because you are on the 2016 A to Z Post Challenge Road Trip This is a series during the month of June celebrating Summertime

images-3

What Does Summer Look Like? Here is a wonderful description that I LOVE. It helps me find my own language in order to write about a time gone by and the summers that I hope still to have. I hope you will add a line in the ‘comments’ to further Jones’ description.

“It looks like fallen petals, and it looks like rain. It looks like the sounds the birds make at dawn. It looks like the aisle of grocery stores when a song I love suddenly begins to play overhead, and I cannot help but dance a little dance. It looks like a sigh, a kiss, an unmade bed. It looks like Cheerios in a white bowl with a bit of silence on the side. It looks like a plain vanilla cupcake in white paper, a dance with the wind, pink toenails, warm socks. It looks like a fire against the cold of winter, and a deep lake cool against a summer sky. It looks like chick flicks, books that make you cry, and all the candles blown out on the first try.”
                                                  D. Smith Kaich Jones

This entry was posted in Summer Time -Livin is Easy and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to The Cotton is High – June 19

1. dino0726 says:

I didn’t grow up around cotton fields but now that I’m in SC, they’re a common site. My Pastor said if you see a car pull to the side near a cotton field and then they start taking pictures of each other in front of the field, ‘They’d be Yankees!’

• When I moved to NC from IL. I made a new friend who took cotton tuffs from a nearby field and saved them to decorate with at Christmas. Cotton in her front door wreath and in her staircase greenery. I had never seen cotton used that way. It was spectacular.

• dino0726 says:

Yes, I’ve seen some of the cotton tuft design here in SC too. The first year we were down here, we bought them as gifts for our family. 🙂

2. It looks like a million stars on the deep blue canopy of twilight. Like the twinkle of fireflies bejeweling the edge of the wood. I looks like long slices of cold, red, juicy watermelon on a picnic table and men taking turns turning the crank on an ice cream maker as children laugh and squeal in anticipation.

3. browneyedgirl159 says:

It looks like a strand of beach dotted with multi-colored umbrellas; a seagull hopping and crying in the surf; a child running to the water’s edge and then squealing and retreating when the cold water touches his toes. It looks like a campfire sending sparks into the starlit night; like teenagers sporting bandanas and roasted marshmallow covered lips; like camp counselors blowing whistles at the waterfront, conducting lost bather drills, teaching swimming, and canoeing, and finally, a lap around the lake to end the day in the blissful quiet of twilight and the mirror like surface of the water, quietly lapping…..

4. Parul Thakur says:

That’s a lovely description. I grew up in cities and there were hardly any fields but then summer brings this hot air in north India, called the Loo. It is so warm and long exposure makes people sick. When I think of summer, that’s the first thing that comes to my mind. Not a good thing but still.
    Thank you for stopping by my blog. 🙂

• Your experience of Loo will make me stop the next time I complain about a hot day in North Carolina. Nothing like north India’s Loo. Thanks for leaving this comment. People will be surprised to know summer in some parts of the world can make people sick.

5. celticmama36 says:

It looks like a child zipping through the woods on her bike, mosquito-bite covered legs pedaling as fast as they can, wind blowing through her hair, squealing with delight because she beat the boys to base.
    It looks like huge windows open in the night, fan blades spinning fast, creating the music to which the children add the “wahhh wahhh” chorus as mama reminds them, “Don’t put your fingers in there!”.
    It looks like porch lights and voices drifting through the night, lightning bugs flickering in their endless game of hide-and-seek, and awakening to the smell of fresh cut grass and the warm sunshine glistening on the swing set.

• This is a wonderful description of what summer looks like for you. I am going to cut and paste it on my authors page in connection with this series of posts. You gave me a great gift by adding this to the post. I hope you will expand it into at least a short story. I’m grateful for the time you took to write this. Thanks!

• celticmama36 says:

Thank you, Stepheny. I am so glad that you liked it. I am honored that you are going to include it on your author page. That is sweet. 🙂 Thank you! Have a blessed day.