Y – F.Y.I. – Because You Love Books

WELCOME to the letter Y and to this year’s theme: BOOKSHOPS

I couldn’t find a bookstore that filled the bill for the letter Y.  Therefore, this is an FYI post about the bookplates people paste on the inside front cover of their books to indicate ownership. It is a fascinating subject and collectors abound.

A bookplate or book-plate, also known as ex-librīs (Latin “from the books of…”), is usually a small print or decorative label. Simple typographical bookplates are termed “book labels”.

Created by an artist or designer, bookplates typically bear a name, motto, coat-of-arms a crest or any motif that relates to the owner of the book. The name of the owner usually follows an inscription such as “from the books of…” or “from the library of…”, or in Latin, ex libris…. Bookplates are important evidence for the provenance of books. People collect these wonderful pieces of art.

CLICK HERE: to see more from my Pinterest collection. Enjoy knowing something more about these little gems.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Y – F.Y.I. – Because You Love Books

1. trishafaye says:

I’m okay with not having a book store for ‘Y’. This was a delightful post with gorgeous book plates. I had no idea there was such a following on this subject. Great job!

2. scr4pl80 says:

Some of the book plates enhance the books I think! Nicely done.

3. Very clever way to deal with the letter “Y”. I used to have bookplates when I was a child and would take great satisfaction in putting them in all of my books so that my sister couldn’t claim that they were her’s.

4. Good call for the letter Y, Stepheny. Some letters are more challenging, for sure.

5. Lisa says:

Bookplates can be gorgeous works of art! I have a few beautiful ones of my grandfather’s. He drew the artwork and had them made. They are one of the few things left of his artwork, I don’t know where the rest went. Thrown out I suppose…
    I never had my own, in that they were already printed with my name, I just had the store-bought kind you’d write on.

6. JEN Garrett says:

Wow, I didn’t know those ex-libris that I was finding were just bookplates! My author friends sometimes give signed bookplates to buyers for their books – but that’s to add an author’s signature, not to prove the book belongs to the reader. 🙂

7. jazzfeathers says:

Hi Stepheney. I’ve only just replied to your comment on my blog. I’m so sorry I’m so late in returnign the visit, but it was such a busy month. I’m behind in reading every blogs. Never happened to me on previous challenges.
    But I plan to catch up as soon as the challenge is over.

I love Ex libris! For a time, years ago, I even tried to hav emy own. But on the one end, I couldn’t make one that was really mine, and on the other I just couldn’t put my ex libris in all my books. I already had too many 😉
    I love the ones you’ve showcased.

8. If you’re ever in Great Barrington, Mass. do check out Yellow Book House!

9. jebjork says:

I like the way you dealt with the Y. My mum used to add bookplates to our books when we were young to keep them separated. I bought some sticky bookplates awhile ago to add to my books but none as beautiful as the ones you showcased here.

Hi Stepheny. Did you make it to the garden tour this weekend? Hoped I might run into you.